Helping Your Marijuana Using Clients Get Life Insurance
With more states legalizing marijuana use, most insurance carriers are taking the necessary steps to adjust their underwriting guidelines to qualify recreational and medical marijuana users for life insurance coverage.
AIPMA cannot speak for the carriers or their underwriting standards, but the statistics in the marijuana industry have shown growth among younger prospects, especially those looking for term or whole life insurance.
Here are some of the marijuana/cannabis statistics.
- 12% of Americans are active marijuana users, and 14% of adults use CBD products.
- Of users age 26 and older, 13.3% have used in the past year, and 8.6% have used in the last month; for ages 18 to 25, 34.8% have used in the past year and 22.1% in the last month.
- The gender gap between marijuana users has almost evened up; in 2018, 62% of men and 38% of women used marijuana, while in 2020, it was 52% of men and 48% of women.
- You also can see some of the trends by generation for recreational and medical usage
- Gen Z – 17% Medical, 17% Recreational (127% sales growth from 2019 to 2020)
- Millennials – 42% Medical, 48% Recreational
- Gen X – 23% Medical, 21% Recreational
- Boomers – 17% Medical, 13% Recreational (5% sales growth from 2019 to 2020)
- Silent Gen – 1% Medical, 1% Recreational
- Nationwide cannabis sales increased 67% in 2020 – this growth is attributed to the pandemic.
- As of January 2021, 12 states have legalized the use of recreational cannabis (in addition to medical marijuana) for individuals over age 21: California, Alaska, Oregon, Washington, Maine, Colorado, Nevada, Vermont, Michigan, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Arizona (plus the District of Columbia).
Now that you have the numbers, how can you target what carriers have a life insurance product for your marijuana-using clients? AIP Marketing Alliance has made it simple with our Marijuana Guidelines Chart!
In this document, you can choose from more than 15 different carriers who have specific usage/factors and rates for medical and recreational marijuana users.
If you would like this document, please contact AIPMA’s Business Development team at (800) 783-5206 Press #2 or email email@example.com.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational use only. It does not condone or approve marijuana usage.
Latest PostsAIP Marketing Alliance Adds SILAC for Fixed Indexed AnnuitiesMay 2021 Happy Mother’s Day from AIPMA!May 2021 New Resources for May's Disability Insurance Awareness MonthApril 2021
TagsProtective Open Enrollment Social Media American Equity Nationwide Transamerica Life_Insurance Holiday Myga Fixed Indexed Annuity Equitrust Medicare_Supplements Secure Act Disability_Insurance Bestow Aig Securian Financial Tax Season North American Roth Ira Working From Home Regulations Charity Lincoln Financial Group Nafa Women Foresters Financial Senior Health Shop Tips Coronavirus Covid 19 Culture Regional Director Web Meetings Job Posting Covid19 Retirement Planning Ira Long_Term_Care Term Life Insurance Legal And General Permanent Life Insurance Myaip Webinars Taxes Global Atlantic Limra Financial Planning Fixed Annuity Annuity Genworth Aipma Drop Ticket Tickit Carriers Fidelity Guaranty Life
2041 E. Square Lake Road, Suite 100, Troy, Michigan 48085-3897
For more than 35 years, AIP Marketing Alliance (AIPMA) serves as a premier life insurance and annuity distribution partner to provide full-service support to independent wholesalers, brokerages and agents from our Troy, Michigan office. Copyright 2021