Helping Your Marijuana Using Clients Get Life Insurance
With more states legalizing marijuana use, most insurance carriers are taking the necessary steps to adjust their underwriting guidelines to qualify recreational and medical marijuana users for life insurance coverage.
AIPMA cannot speak for the carriers or their underwriting standards, but the statistics in the marijuana industry have shown growth among younger prospects, especially those looking for term or whole life insurance.
Here are some of the marijuana/cannabis statistics.
- 12% of Americans are active marijuana users, and 14% of adults use CBD products.
- Of users age 26 and older, 13.3% have used in the past year, and 8.6% have used in the last month; for ages 18 to 25, 34.8% have used in the past year and 22.1% in the last month.
- The gender gap between marijuana users has almost evened up; in 2018, 62% of men and 38% of women used marijuana, while in 2020, it was 52% of men and 48% of women.
- You also can see some of the trends by generation for recreational and medical usage
- Gen Z – 17% Medical, 17% Recreational (127% sales growth from 2019 to 2020)
- Millennials – 42% Medical, 48% Recreational
- Gen X – 23% Medical, 21% Recreational
- Boomers – 17% Medical, 13% Recreational (5% sales growth from 2019 to 2020)
- Silent Gen – 1% Medical, 1% Recreational
- Nationwide cannabis sales increased 67% in 2020 – this growth is attributed to the pandemic.
- As of January 2021, 12 states have legalized the use of recreational cannabis (in addition to medical marijuana) for individuals over age 21: California, Alaska, Oregon, Washington, Maine, Colorado, Nevada, Vermont, Michigan, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Arizona (plus the District of Columbia).
Now that you have the numbers, how can you target what carriers have a life insurance product for your marijuana-using clients? AIP Marketing Alliance has made it simple with our Marijuana Guidelines Chart!
In this document, you can choose from more than 15 different carriers who have specific usage/factors and rates for medical and recreational marijuana users.
If you would like this document, please contact AIPMA’s Business Development team at (800) 783-5206 Press #2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational use only. It does not condone or approve marijuana usage.
Latest PostsSales Idea: Help Clients Navigate Market Volatility in Retirement with Permanent Life InsuranceJune 2022 Wink Reports First Quarter Annuity, Life Insurance SalesJune 2022 Experiencing FOMO with AIPMA’s LinkedIn Newsletter? Subscribe Today!June 2022
TagsPermanent Life Insurance Annuity Drop Ticket Working From Home Myga Carriers Fixed Indexed Annuity Protective Coronavirus Covid 19 Aipma Legal And General Integrity Marketing Group Genworth Myaip Nafa Wink Equitrust Insurance Fraud Roth Ira Fixed Annuity North American Limra Webinars Bestow Web Meetings Social Media American Equity Culture Tickit Final Expense Nationwide Secure Act Securian Financial Tax Season Charity Disability_Insurance Transamerica Senior Health Shop Regulations Holiday Lincoln Financial Group Integrity Job Posting Long_Term_Care Ira Fidelity Guaranty Life Foresters Financial Medicare_Supplements Open Enrollment Aig Global Atlantic Term Life Insurance Tips Women Retirement Planning Regional Director Life_Insurance Covid19 Financial Planning Taxes
2041 E. Square Lake Road, Suite 100, Troy, Michigan 48085-3897
For more than 40 years, AIP Marketing Alliance (AIPMA) serves as a premier life insurance and annuity distribution partner to provide full-service support to independent wholesalers, brokerages and agents from our Troy, Michigan office. Copyright 2022